This recipe was totally inspired by a close close friend in Florida. He regularly would cook for me and was quite the excellent chef. Our last meal together before I headed out west was a spaghetti squash dish, so the other day I spied these amazing yellow veggies in the store and had to take one home.
It’s a nice light summer alternative to real pasta. For anyone watching their carbs, it’s a terrific treat when paired with tomato sauce. This is a creative variation for all of you who, like me, like to play in the kitchen.
What you’ll need:
1/2 small vidalia onion (or yellow)
5 garlic cloves
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 a medium box of non-GMO tofu (or 1 whole tofu small box)
2/3 cup of black beans (canned ok)
tumeric, cayenne, oregano, sea salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare:
– Pre-heat the oven to 350
– Slice the squash in half the long way and scoop out the seeds. Season the scooped out side with sea salt, pepper and drizzle liberally with olive oil.
– Place scooped side down on a cookie sheet and bake for about 45 minutes. You can do this a day prior. While the squash is baking, prepare your sauce. Using homemade tomato sauce is simple to make and always a pleasure to eat.
– Slice up about a 1/2 of a vidalia (or yellow) small onion into semi rounds and smash and chop 3 gloves of garlic
– Add these to a couple Tbs of olive oil on medium heat and add in a generous sprinkle of tumeric, black pepper, cayenne, and oregano is nice too. Saute til they are fragrant and translucent.
– When I’m in a hurry I use chopped tomatoes in a can with basil. If I can take my time, I use whole peeled tomatoes in a can and squeeze them into the pot by hand. I buy the 28 oz. size so there’s always left overs for another dish if you’re cooking for 1-2 people.
– Simmer on a medium-low heat for about 15 minutes with a lid stirring occasionally, and then turn down to very low for another 5 minutes til all the liquid is gone.
– In another pan saute another chopped 2 garlic cloves in olive oil and slice up your tofu. This is going to form your “cheeze” mixture, like a ricotta consistency.
– Add your slices of tofu and 2/3 cup of black beans (already cooked) to the pan. Stir and mash together a bit over medium heat. You may add more olive oil and salt and pepper to the mixture until tofu and beans and garlic are nicely combined into a chunky mixture.
– Once your spaghetti squash is done and tender, you use a fork and scrape it all out of the outer skin. It should come out very easily. Put it all into a roasting pan, combine tomato sauce generously with the first layer of squash.
– Add the second layer of squash on top, and then add your tofu and black bean mixture, top with more tomato sauce and last sprinkle liberally with Daiya mozzarella shreds /cheeze (it’s gluten free, vegan, soy and casein free and delicious and melts well)… then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, plus an extra 5 minutes on broil to be sure the cheeze is very melted. (You may use any other type of cheese, however, this is a very excellent complement.)
Serves 4 – 6