My take on borscht ~ With ages old Russian heritage on my side, my improvisation was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. It can be vegan or not, up to you.
- Onion – ½ medium yellow onion
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves chopped
- Celery – 2-3 stalks chopped
- Olive oil – 2 tbs
- Chicken broth (I do part broth and part h2O, or all water if vegan) 5 cups
- Basil (dried ok) – ¼ tsp
- Oregano (dried ok) ¼ tsp
- Sea salt and pepper (a few grinds of each)
- Beets (peel and chop into med. chunks) (about 3 small beets)
- Carrots (peel and slice into med. chunks) (2 carrots)
- Sweet potato (peel and chop into med. chunks) (1 potato)
- Kale bunch of leaves, washed and sliced thinly
- Cilantro bunch of leaves, separate from stems and chop
- Parsley, bunch of leaves, separate from stems and chop
- Lemon – optional (squeeze juice from half a lemon into soup before serving)
Cook down the onion, garlic, and celery in some olive oil, when translucent stir in basil and oregano and heat for a moment before adding liquid.
Add water or chicken broth, salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
Add chopped beets, carrots and sweet potato, and turn down heat to med-low.
Simmer for 30 mins. (check after 30 and if all root veggies are fork tender – add the kale and cilantro.)
Simmer for another 3-5 mins. Can serve with a squeeze of lemon and add parsley and a little more salt and pepper to taste.
Bon appétit! Or the Russian equivalent, Приятного аппетита! (Prijatnovo appetita!)